Boat safety blitz to target flares
News for the Department of Transport
The need to carry in-date flares when boating in open waters will be highlighted as part of a focus on safety at boat ramps to coincide with the start of summer.
Department of Transport (DoT) Marine Officers will lead two weekend-long campaigns targeting metropolitan boat ramps north and south of the river where all vessels are safety checked before they launch.
DoT Director Waterways Safety Chris Mather said there had been a concerningly high number of skippers (270) infringed or stopped from launching for expired flares or no flares already this financial year.
“Last year there was a total of 962 flare related infringements or turn-aways and while there has been a recent slight increase, of around four per cent, in the number of recreational vessels on the water it is a concerning trend,” Mr Mather said.
“In-date flares are required safety equipment for boating in open waters and skippers who fail to carry them are risking their lives.”
Officers will be inspecting vessels and reminding skippers their safety gear should be in good condition and accessible in an emergency. They will also be suggesting skippers and passengers take the 30 Second Challenge which tests readiness for an emergency response on board a vessel. The initiative tests if people can gather flares, EPIRB, make a radio call and don a lifejacket in 30 seconds.
The first weekend long campaign will focus on boat ramps from Woodman Point to Port Kennedy next weekend (November 28 and 29, 2020) and the second campaign, on December 12 and 13, will concentrate on launch sites from Hillarys Boat Harbour to Two Rocks.
For more information about boating safety visit the Marine section.
Media contact: firstname.lastname@example.org