Motorcycle (R) licence
How to upgrade your LAMS motorcycle licence to an unrestricted (R class) motorcycle licence.
An R class motorcycle licence, also known as an unrestricted motorcycle licence, allows you to ride a motorcycle with:
- an engine capacity exceeding 660 cc; or
- a power-to-weight ratio greater than 150 kW/t.
Example of a R class motorcycle
If youíre looking to get your motorcycle licence for the first time, visit our get your licence to drive a motorcycle page.
Interstate and overseas licence holders
You can transfer a current interstate driverís licence for any vehicle class to a WA driverís licence without having to complete a practical driving assessment.
If you have a current overseas driverís licence for a motorcycle, you may be able to apply to transfer it to a WA driverís licence.
How to get your R class licence
If you have a current R-E class licence, you can begin to learn to ride R class motorcycles.
You do not need to apply for a learner's permit.
When learning to drive you must:
- be accompanied by a supervisor who is either:
- a licensed driving instructor holding a R class licence,
- a person who has held a R class licence for at least 4 years
- display L plates on the front and back of the vehicle when you are driving.
- not exceed the posted speed limit, and you cannot exceed 100 km/h.
- not have a blood alcohol concentration exceeding 0.00%
- not drive in areas where learners are not permitted.
You must wear an approved helmet when riding or being a passenger on a motorcycle.
The helmet must be compliant with Australian and New Zealand Standard (AS/NZS) 1698 or United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Regulation No 22 (UN ECE22.05).
To apply to upgrade your licence, you will need to visit a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centre or regional agent and:
- submit a completed driver's licence application form (Form DLA1) (below)
- show the required proof of identity documents
- pay the restriction removal fee
- take an eyesight test.
You will need to take an eye test when you apply to upgrade your licence.
If you need to wear glasses or contacts to pass the eyesight test, your licence will have the condition that you must wear them when driving.
Removal of (motorcycle) class restriction fee
|Removal of (motorcycle) class restriction (e.g. R-E to R)||$113.70|
|Driver's licence application (Form DLA1)||Kb|
To upgrade your licence to a R class licence you will need to pass a practical driving assessment (PDA).
Find out how to book a PDA. You can book your PDA up to 6 months in advance.
Find out more about what you need to know and do on the day to pass the PDA.
If you pass your PDA, your driverís licence card will be updated when you renew your current licence.
If you would like to update your licence card before your next renewal, you can order a replacement licence.