Car (C) licence

How to upgrade your driver's licence from an automatic car to a manual car licence (C class).

A car (C class) licence allows you to drive a motor vehicle (other than a motorcycle) that:

  • has a gross vehicle mass (GVM) not greater than 4,500 kg; and
  • is constructed or equipped to seat no more than 12 adults (including the driver)
  • is a moped.

If you have a driver’s licence for an automatic car (C-A class) you will need to apply to upgrade your licence to a C class to be able to drive a manual car.

If you’re looking to get your driver’s licence for the first time, visit our get your licence to drive a car page.

Examples of C class vehicles

Illustration of a c class vehicleIllustration of a c class vehicle towing a trailerIllustration of a c class van


Experience requirements

You must be at least 17 years old to apply to upgrade an automatic car driver’s licence to a C class vehicle licence.

Interstate and overseas licence holders

You can transfer a current interstate driver’s licence for any vehicle class to a WA driver’s licence without having to complete a practical driving assessment.

If you have a current overseas driver’s licence for a car or motorcycle, you may be able to apply to transfer it to a WA driver’s licence.


How to upgrade your licence to a C-class licence

Step 1: Learn to drive

If you have a current driver’s licence for an automatic car you can begin to learn to drive a C class vehicle.

You do not need to apply for a learner's permit.

However, when learning to drive a C class vehicle you must:

  • display L plates on the front and back of the vehicle when you are driving.
  • drive with a supervising driver
  • not exceed the posted speed limit, and you cannot exceed 100 km/h.
  • not have a blood alcohol concentration exceeding 0.00%

Step 2: Submit an application in person

To submit an application to upgrade your licence, you will need to visit a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centre or regional agent and:

  • submit a completed driver's licence application form (Form DLA1) (below)
  • show the required proof of identity documents
  • take an eyesight test
  • pay the restriction removal fee.

Eyesight test

You will need to take an eye test when you apply to upgrade your licence.

If you need to wear glasses or contacts to pass the eyesight test, your licence will have the condition that you must wear them when driving.

Class restriction removal fee

Fee type Fee
Class Restriction Removal (not HC and MC Class) $114.50

Step 3: Book and pass the practical driving assessment

To upgrade your automatic driver’s licence to a C class licence you will need to book and pass a practical driving assessment (PDA).

Find out how to book a PDA. You can book your PDA up to 6 months in advance.

Find out more about what you need to know and do on the day to pass the PDA.

If you pass your PDA, the automatic vehicle restriction will be removed and your driver’s licence card will be updated when you renew your current licence.

If you would like to update your licence card before your next renewal, you can order and pay for a replacement licence.

Page last updated: Tue Jun 11 2024 9:49:42 AM