Get a licence to ride a motorcycle

Find out the steps to getting your first licence to ride a learner approved motorcycle.

The new Joondalup Driver Assessment Centre is now open. 
Learn more about the range of learner driver services available.

On this page you find the steps you need to follow to get your licence to ride a Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) approved motorcycle (R-E class) , from getting your learner’s permit to driving on your P plates.

A LAMS approved motorcycle has:

  • a power-to-weight ratio up to 150 kilowatts per tonne (kW/t)
  • an engine capacity up to 660cc; or
  • may be powered by an electric powered engine with a power output up to 25kW.

Download the list of Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS): R-E approved motorcycles list below.


Learner approved motorcycle list


If you have a current interstate or New Zealand learner’s permit, you may apply to have your learner’s permit recognised in WA. Find out more on our visiting or moving to WA page.

How to your first motorcycle licence

Step 1: Learn the road rules

You will need to know the Western Australian road rules to get your learner’s permit.

You can learn everything you need to know by reading the Ride Safe handbook.

You can also test your knowledge using our online Road Rules theory test quiz.

Step 2: Get your learner's permit

You need to get your learner’s permit before you can learn to ride a LAMS approved motorcycle.

You must be at least 16 years old to apply for learner’s permit to ride a LAMS approved motorcycle.

A learner’s permit is valid for 3 years. If your learner's permit has expired, you will need to reapply to continue to learn to drive.

To apply for your learner’s permit, you will need to visit a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centre or regional agent and:

  • submit a completed driver's licence application form (Form DLA1) (below)
  • show the required proof of identity documents
  • pay a fee for your application, theory test and learner log book.
  • take an eyesight test
  • take and pass the theory test.

Medical declaration

When you complete your application form, you must declare whether you have any medical conditions and/or take any medication.

You will be advised if you need a medical assessment before you are granted your learner's permit.

You must go and get the medical assessment before you can continue with your application.

Find out more about reporting a medical condition.

Learner's permit application fees

Fee type Fee
Learner’s permit application fee including one Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) $138.70
Learner Log Book (printed) $10.70

Computerised theory test fees

Fee type Fee
Sit the Learner's Permit Computerised Theory Test $21.20
Resit the Learner's Permit Computerised Theory Test (each attempt) $18.20

Step 3: Sit the theory test

To get your learner’s permit, you will need to pass a computerised theory test that assesses your understanding of the WA road rules.

You can sit the theory test on the same day you apply for your learner’s application.

You cannot use any mobile phone or device or refer to the Ride Safe handbook during the test.

You need to get at least 28 out of the 35 multiple choice questions correct to pass the test.

You can practice using our online Road Rules theory test quiz.

If you pass the test, you will be issued with your learner’s permit.

If you do not pass the theory test, you will need to resit the test and pay an additional resit fee.

Keys4Life program

If you’ve completed the Keys4Life program through your school, you do not need to sit the theory test. You will need to provide your Keys4Life certificate when applying for your learner’s permit.

Step 4: Learn to ride

Once you have your learner’s permit, you can start learning to drive a LAMS approved motorcycle.

Rules for learning to ride a motorcycle

When learning to ride a motorcycle you must always:

  • ride with an approved supervisor – either as a pillion passenger, in a sidecar or on another motorcycle
  • display L plates on the front and back of the vehicle when you are driving.
  • only ride a LAMS approved motorcycle
  • wear an approved helmet
  • not have a blood alcohol concentration exceeding 0.00%
  • not ride in areas where learners are not permitted, such as Kings Park.

Demerit points

Demerit points apply to learner drivers. If you accrue 4 demerit points your learner licence will be suspended or disqualified.

Log your supervised riding hours

You will need to record at least 50 supervised riding hours in your Learner Log Book before you can take your practical driving assessment (PDA).

5 of your 50 supervised riding hours need to be completed at night between sunset and sunrise.

If you hold a C Class licence or higher

You do not need to log any hours before taking your PDA. 

Remember, 50 hours of supervised riding is the minimum. Get as much supervised riding experience in different road, weather and traffic conditions as you can.

Download our Driving Techniques for Safer Drivers booklet for more information on learning to drive and how to prepare for your practical driving assessment.

Step 5: Sit the hazard perception test

The hazard perception test is a computer-based test that shows various traffic situations and assesses your ability to assess road hazards and make safe driving decisions.

During the test, you will need to use your mouse to click to indicate when it is safe to begin a manoeuvre or take action to reduce the risk of an accident.

You must pass the hazard perception test before you can take your practical driving assessment.

Practice the hazard perception test using our online tests.

We recommend that you get as much driving experience as you can before you sit your hazard perception test.

What to do on the day

To sit the hazard perception test you will need to:

You can sit the hazard perception test at any Department of Transport (DoT) Driver and Vehicle Services centre or regional agent.

All tests must commence before 3.45 pm.

You do not need to make an appointment to sit the hazard perception test at any metro DoT centre.

You may need to call ahead at our regional DoT centres or agents.

If you do not pass, you will need to resit the test on another day and pay a resit fee.

Hazard perception test fees

Fee type Fee
Sit the initial Hazard Perception Test $28.40
Each Hazard Perception Test resit (each attempt) $22.90


If you live more than 100km from a DoT centre or agent with hazard perception test facilities, you may be granted an exemption from completing the test.

If you’re eligible for an exemption, complete and send an Application for Exemption from Hazard Perception Test (E19) form to your nearest Driver and Vehicle Services centre or regional agent.

Once your application has been reviewed you will receive a letter advising you of the decision.

Step 6: Take the practical driving assessment

To take your practical driving assessment (PDA) for your motorcycle licence you must:

  • be at least 17 years old
  • have had your learner's permit for at least 6 months
  • have recorded at least 50 hours of supervised driving in your Learner Log Book, including 5 hours of night time driving (unless you hold C class licence or higher)
  • passed the motorcycle hazard perception test
  • feel confident that you can ride safely without a supervisor driver.

Book your PDA

You can book a PDA up to 6 months in advance. You must be at least 16 and half years old to book a PDA.

You can book your PDA:

  • online via DoTDirect for all metropolitan Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centres and most regional agency sites. You will need to create a DoTDirect account to book online.
  • in person at a regional DoT office or agent. In person bookings cannot be made at metropolitan DVS centres.

You must be at least 16 and half years old to book a PDA. You can book a PDA up to 6 months in advance.

If you don’t feel ready to take your PDA, you can reschedule as many times as you need using DoTDirect. Remember, you need to give at least 2 business days’ notice before you cancel.

On the day of your test

To be eligible to take your driving test you must:

  • arrive at least 15 minutes before your booked appointment
  • bring your learner’s permit
  • provide a licenced and roadworthy vehicle in the correct class
  • wear an approved helmet, enclosed footwear, long pants (tracksuit pants are not acceptable) and a long sleeved shirt or jacket. Gloves and eye protection are also recommended.

If you pass the PDA, you will be issued with a provisional licence.

If you do not pass, you will need to book another test and pay a resit fee for each test.

Find out more the practical driving assessment.

Practical driving assessment fee

The cost of your first PDA is included in your learner’s permit application fee.
Fee type Fee
Each Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) resit $113.70

Step 7: Riding on your P plates

To get your provisional licence (P plates) you must:

You will be on a provisional licence for 2 years or until you are 19 years old, whichever period is longer. While riding during this time, you must:

  • display red P plates for the first 6 months
  • display green P plates for the remaining 18 months until you have upgraded to a full licence
  • follow the night time driving restrictions for the first 6 months.
  • have a 0.00% blood alcohol content.

Find out more about the rules for riding while on P plates.


Already have a motorcycle licence?

If you want to transfer your interstate or overseas licence, find out more on our Visit or move to WA page.

If you want to upgrade your motorcycle licence to an unrestricted motorcycle licence, find out more on our motorcycle (R class) licence page.

Page last updated: Mon Feb 19 2024 12:53:48 PM