Frequently asked questions
Read FAQs about Bike Month and the event and grant application process.
What is Bike Month?
WA Bike Month is Western Australia’s annual celebration of bike riding.
The primary aim of WA Bike Month is to promote and encourage people of all ages and abilities to ride bikes for transport, fun and for a healthier lifestyle.
Bike Month is held in October each year and in the lead up, grants are available to local governments, organisations and community groups to host events during the month that support and inspire people to give bike riding a go.
What is the role of the Department of Transport (DoT) and WestCycle in Bike Month?
WA Bike Month is an initiative of the State Government, funded by DoT and administered by WA’s peak body for cycling WestCycle.
DoT is the strategic and operational lead for the State Government’s active transport responsibilities. This means supporting safe, well-designed, and connected networks for people of all ages and abilities to ride bikes, scooters or walk to get around. The Department also plays a key role in developing and providing travel behaviour change programs and initiatives to encourage people to walk, ride, scoot, skate or catch public transport more often.
WestCycle has been contracted by DoT to deliver Bike Month during October 2022.
How do I apply for a Bike Month grant?
In 2022, a total of $50,000 is available to be split between local governments, organisations, and community groups to host events during Bike Month.
The application period will open at 9.00 am on 11 July 2022 and close at 5.00 pm on 25 July 2022.
- Make sure your proposed event supports and encourages people of all ages and abilities to explore their communities by bicycle.
- Read the grant guidelines.
- Submit a grant application for your event via the DoT website during the application period.
When will we find out if our Bike Month grant application was successful?
All grant applications will be assessed by an industry panel led by WestCycle. You will be notified in writing if the outcome of your application during August 2022.
Please refer to the grant guidelines for key dates.
When will we receive grant funding?
Grant funding will be provided to successful applicants in one lump sum following the receipt of a completed Grant Acquittal Form and associated invoice. Acquittals must be submitted to WestCycle within two (2) weeks of completing grant event/s, with money reimbursed afterwards. It is anticipated that acquittals will be processed in two stages; in late October and early November 2022.
All grants awarded are exclusive of GST, although GST may be added to the Grant amount depending on the GST status of your organisation.
What should we consider when organising our Bike Month event?
Each event should meet one or more of the Bike Month objectives. These objectives are as follows:
- Promote and encourage bike riding for transport, fun and for a healthier lifestyle.
- Increase awareness and use of new and existing bike infrastructure, bike routes (i.e. the cycle network), and local facilities you can get to by bike.
- Encourage new, novice and rusty riders of all ages and abilities to go for a bike ride.
A great event will also:
- Promote the benefits of bike riding such as physical health, wellbeing and social connection, and immersion in the community;
- Contemplate a mix of bike and non-bike related activities to encourage participation from the wider community; and,
- Help people overcome some of the basic barriers to bike riding, such as by offering bicycle mechanics, advice, and skills training.