Get a licence to ride a moped

Find out the steps to getting your first moped licence.

The new Joondalup Driver Assessment Centre is now open. 
Learn more about the range of learner driver services available.

On this page you find the steps you need to follow to get your moped (R-N class) licence, from getting your learner’s permit to driving on your P plates.

A moped is a motorcycle that is designed not to be capable of exceeding 50 km/h and either has:

  • an engine capacity that does not exceed 50 cc; or
  • is not powered by a piston engine.

If you already hold a Western Australian driver's licence (not a learner's permit) to drive a vehicle of another class, you are legally able to ride a moped.

How to get your moped licence

Step 1: Learn the road rules

You will need to know the Western Australian road rules to get your learner’s permit.

You can learn everything you need to know by reading the Ride Safe handbook.

You can also test your knowledge using our online Road Rules theory test quiz.

Step 2: Get your learner's permit

You need to get your learner’s permit before you can learn to ride a moped.

You must be at least 15 and a half years old to apply for learner’s permit to ride a moped.

A learner’s permit is valid for 3 years. If your learner's permit has expired, you will need to reapply to continue to learn to drive.

To apply for your learner’s permit, you will need to visit a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centre or regional agent and:

  • submit a completed driver's licence application form (Form DLA1) (below)
  • show the required proof of identity documents
  • pay a fee for your application, theory test and learner log book.
  • take an eyesight test
  • take and pass the theory test.

Medical declaration

When you complete your application form, you must declare whether you have any medical conditions and/or take any medication.

You will be advised if you need a medical assessment before you are granted your learner's permit.

You must go and get the medical assessment before you can continue with your application.

Find out more about reporting a medical condition.

Learner's permit application fees

Fee type Fee
Learner’s permit application fee including one Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) $138.70
Learner Log Book (printed) $10.70

Computerised theory test fees

Fee type Fee
Sit the Learner's Permit Computerised Theory Test $21.20
Resit the Learner's Permit Computerised Theory Test (each attempt) $18.20

Step 3: Sit the theory test

To get your learner’s permit, you will need to pass a computerised theory test that assesses your understanding of the WA road rules.

You can sit the theory test on the same day you apply for your learner’s application.

You cannot use any mobile phone or device or refer to the Ride Safe handbook during the test.

You need to get at least 28 out of the 35 multiple choice questions correct to pass the test.

You can practice using our online Road Rules theory test quiz.

If you pass the test, you will be issued with your learner’s permit.

A pass result is valid for 5 years.

If you do not pass the theory test, you will need to resit the test and pay an additional resit fee.

Step 4: Learn to ride

Once you have your learner’s permit, you can start learning to drive a moped.

You do not need to record a minimum number of supervised hours to get your moped licence.

However, we recommend you get as supervised experience as you can, in many different road, traffic and weather conditions.

Rules for learning to ride a moped

When learning to ride a moped you must always:

  • ride with an approved supervisor – either as a pillion passenger, in a sidecar or on another moped or motorcycle
  • display L plates on the front and back of the vehicle when you are driving
  • wear an approved helmet
  • only ride on a moped that is designed not to be capable of exceeding 50 kilometres per hour and has an engine that not piston powered or does not exceed 50cc
  • not have a blood alcohol concentration exceeding 0.00%
  • not ride in areas where learners are not permitted, such as Kings Park.

Demerit points

Demerit points apply to learner drivers. If you accrue 4 demerit points your learner licence will be suspended or disqualified.

Download our Driving techniques for Safer Drivers booklet for more information on learning to ride and how to prepare for your practical driving assessment.

Step 5: Sit the hazard perception test

The hazard perception test is a computer-based test that shows various traffic situations and assesses your ability to assess road hazards and make safe driving decisions.

During the test, you will need to use your mouse to click to indicate when it is safe to begin a manoeuvre or take action to reduce the risk of an accident.

You must pass the hazard perception test before you can take your practical driving assessment.

Practice the hazard perception test using our online tests.

We recommend that you get as much driving experience as you can before you sit your hazard perception test.

What to do on the day

To sit the hazard perception test you will need to:

You can sit the hazard perception test at any Department of Transport (DoT) Driver and Vehicle Services centre or regional agent.

All tests must commence before 3.45 pm.

You do not need to make an appointment to sit the hazard perception test at any metro DoT centre.

You may need to call ahead at our regional DoT centres or agents.

If you do not pass, you will need to resit the test on another day and pay a resit fee.

Hazard perception test fees

Fee type Fee
Sit the initial Hazard Perception Test $28.40
Each Hazard Perception Test resit (each attempt) $22.90


If you live more than 100km from a DoT centre or agent with hazard perception test facilities, you may be granted an exemption from completing the test.

If you’re eligible for an exemption, complete and send an Application for Exemption from Hazard Perception Test (E19) form to your nearest Driver and Vehicle Services centre or regional agent.

Once your application has been reviewed you will receive a letter advising you of the decision.

Step 6: Take the practical driving assessment

To take your practical driving test for your moped licence you must:

  • be at least 16 years old
  • passed the motorcycle hazard perception test
  • feel confident that you can ride safely without a supervisor.

Book your PDA

You can book your practical driving test:

  • online via DoTDirect for all metropolitan Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centres and most regional agency sites. You will need to create a DoTDirect account to book online.
  • in person at a regional DoT office or agent. In person bookings cannot be made at metropolitan DVS centres.

If you don’t feel ready to take your PDA, you can reschedule as many times as you need using DoTDirect. Remember, you need to give at least 2 business days’ notice before you cancel.

On the day of your test

To be eligible to take your driving test you must:

  • arrive at least 15 minutes before your booked appointment
  • bring your learner’s permit
  • provide a licenced roadworthy vehicle in the correct class
  • wear an approved helmet, enclosed footwear, long pants (tracksuit pants are not acceptable) and a long sleeved shirt or jacket. Gloves and eye protection are also recommended.

If you pass the PDA, you will be issued with a provisional licence.

If you do not pass, you will need to book another test and pay a resit fee for each test.

Find out more the practical driving assessment.

Practical driving assessment fee

The cost of your first PDA is included in your learner’s permit application fee.
Fee type Fee
Each Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) resit $113.70

Step 7: Riding on your P plates

To get your provisional licence (P plates) you must:

You will be on a provisional licence for 2 years or until you are 19 years old, whichever period is longer. While riding during this time, you must:

  • display red P plates for the first 6 months
  • display green P plates for the remaining 18 months until you have upgraded to a full licence
  • follow the night time driving restrictions for the first 6 months.
  • have a 0.00% blood alcohol content.

Find out more about the rules for riding while on P plates.

Page last updated: Fri May 24 2024 1:22:49 PM