Swing moorings in WA waters

Find out about swing moorings managed by the Department of Transport and how to obtain a mooring licence.

  Swing moorings and fees

What is a swing mooring?

A swing mooring is a vessel storage solution consisting of an anchorage set deep into the seabed to which a chain/rope connects, running to a buoy on the surface. When the direction of wind or tide changes the mooring moves in a circle, hence the name swing mooring.


The Department of Transport administers swing mooring licences in accordance with the Mooring Regulations 1998. A copy of the Regulations can be found at the Department of Justice Western Australian legislation website below.


All mooring site licences will have a set of conditions associated to the class of mooring. Conditions of the licence set out requirements the licensee must adhere to on top of the regulations.

  • Recreational shared use mooring site licence conditions
  • Recreational exclusive use mooring site licence conditions
  • Commercial General mooring site licence conditions
  • Shared Use Mooring System (SUMS) conditions


To find out about the scheduled fees for moorings, visit Marine fees and payments.

Opens in a new window Department of Justice: Mooring Regulations 1998 (WA)

Swing mooring locations

Recreational swing moorings exist in the following Mooring Control Areas:

  • Swan and Canning River (Metro)
  • Rockingham (Mangles Bay)
  • Albany (Oyster Harbour)
  • Peel Region (Dawesville)
  • Carnarvon Fascine
Page last updated: Tue Nov 1 2022 2:58:12 PM