Want to stand out from the crowd? Need the best accessory to complement your ride? Looking for a unique gift for that special someone? We have a fantastic range of optional plates to choose from. Visit PlatesWA to start designing your plates now.
Terms and conditions and FAQs
The Chief Executive Officer reserves the right to refuse any plate application.
Grounds for refusal include but are not limited to:
- Have offensive, sensitive or contentious connotations (for example, sexual, violent, drug related, perverse or racial content).
- Have negative political or anti law references (for example, gang related names or conflicts with road safety messages).
- Be likely to incite or promote hatred including but not limited to negative religious or cult references.
- Be a registered name of a company or business, and the applicant is not the Director of the said company or business for which the plate is requested.
- Be ambiguous and plate characters not easily identifiable.
- Be in contravention of any State or Commonwealth Legislation (for example ANZAC, NAVY, RAN, AFC, RAAF).
- Be a close resemblance of character combinations of an existing registration plate or series of plates.
- Any of the above in a language other than English or could be read by using a rear view mirror.
- Make or model of vehicle.
More information can be found in the Terms and Conditions and FAQs below.
|Optional plates FAQ||Kb|
|Optional plates general terms and conditions||Kb|
Once you have applied and paid for an optional plate, it may take 3 to 4 weeks for your plate to be made. When applying for optional plates as a gift, you (the buyer) can request that all correspondence is addressed to you. A letter advising the plates are ready will be posted to the buyer. The new plates will be delivered to the nominated collection site.
When collecting your plates, please bring:
- primary and secondary identification (one ID must contain your signature);
- your existing number plates, these will be exchanged for your new plates; and,
- tools and screws, this will help you attach your new plates for your vehicle.
Fitting plates to your vehicle
Screws are not supplied with plates issued by DoT.
Standard plates are made of aluminium and have the following dimensions:
- Motor vehicle plate 372 mm x 134 mm.
- Motorcycle plate 254 mm x 100 mm.
- Auxiliary plate 253 mm x 99 mm.
Optional plates are made of aluminium or acrylic and the sizes of the various plate series can be found by visiting PlatesWA, or on the first page of the Optional Plates Application Form.
If optional plates are ordered and the application approved, the plates will not be released until they can be affixed to a licensed vehicle.
You will need to organise the removal of the old plates and attach the new plates or arrange for them to be fitted by a car dealership or garage.
WA number plates are issued to identify licensed vehicles. If you are responsible for a vehicle, you must ensure that any plate or plates issued are kept rigidly fixed to the vehicle and displayed in line with the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014 (WA). WA number plates must not be used for decorative purposes or kept for sentimental reasons. If the plates are no longer in use, they must be returned to the DoT. Failure to do so, may lead to a penalty.
You will need to buy and affix an auxiliary plate if a bike rack or mobility device is attached to your vehicle and obstructs the view of your rear number plate. Refer to auxiliary plates.
If the existing vehicle number plates have been lost, stolen or damaged then standard replacement processes apply. Refer to Replace lost/stolen or damaged number plates.
|Optional plates/remake application form||Kb|