Surrender a driver's licence or class

How to surrender your driver’s licence or licence class, or return a deceased person’s driver’s licence.

Surrender your driver's licence

You can voluntarily surrender your driver’s licence or vehicle class at any time.

To surrender a driver’s licence or class, you will need to complete a Variation or Surrender of Driving Authorisation form (below).

You can submit the completed form:


Apply for a refund

If you surrender your whole licence before it expires, you may be eligible for a refund for the remaining period of your licence renewal fee.


WA photo card

A WA photo card is a card you can use to prove your identity if you do not have a driver’s licence.

You can choose to include your address on the card or not, or to have 2 cards with one showing your address and one without.

Photocards are available to people 16 years and older who live in WA.

Find out how to apply for a WA photocard.


Alternatives to driving

In WA, seniors can travel for free on all Transperth services between 9.00 am and 9.30 pm Monday to Friday and all day Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.

All you need is a Seniors, Pensioner or Veterans SmartRider.

Find out more on the Road Safety Commission website.

Return a deceased person’s driver’s licence

When a person dies, WA Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages will notify the Department of Transport (DoT) and their licence will be cancelled.

Alternatively, a relative or executor of the will can return the deceased person's licence to DoT.

To return a deceased person's licence you will need to:

  1. Visit a Driver and Vehicle Services centre, DoT regional office or agent and
  2. Provide primary and secondary proof of identity; and
  3. Provide one of the following documents:
  • the original or a certified copy of the death certificate
  • WA Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages letter of confirmation
  • notification from the Public Trustee that the person is deceased;
  • letter from the Coroner's Court of WA confirming the customer is deceased and the date of death.

The executor or administrator of the deceased person’s estate can request a copy of the photograph used on the driver’s licence.

You also may be able to apply for a refund for any remaining period of the licence renewal fee.

To apply for a refund, you will need to provide:

  • proof of identity
  • a completed and signed Application for Refund (C2) form
  • the original or a certified copy of the death certificate
  • evidence of their authority to act on behalf of the deceased person’s estate.

Any money owed becomes part of the deceased person’s estate.

Page last updated: Tue May 14 2024 10:56:48 AM