Warning as work starts on deconstruction of One Mile Jetty

News for the Department of Transport
29
Oct
2021

As work commenced on the $4.2 million partial deconstruction of One Mile Jetty at Carnarvon this week skippers and beach goers were warned to keep a safe distance from the activities.

The Department of Transport (DoT) last month has engaged contractors to undertake the urgent work, required after the jetty suffered significant damage during Tropical Cyclone Seroja and engineers recommended the removal of all but the first 400 metres of the structure.

DoT Director of Coastal Infrastructure Donna West said Ventia Australia had mobilised specialist equipment to Carnarvon before this week commencing the first phase of the jetty’s deconstruction.

“Initially, work will focus on a 400 metre section of the jetty extending from Pier 120, just before the shoreline, and see an excavator used to remove timbers before they are transported across the intertidal zone and along the beach to a sorting area near the Old Prawning Jetty,” Ms West said.

“As the project continues to deeper water next month, the excavator will be replaced with  a backhoe dredge and a barge will be used transport the timbers to a temporary storage area at Carnarvon Boat Harbour. 

“For safety reasons we urge people to abide by the on-site signage and navigation warnings and keep well clear of the activities until the project is completed at the end of the year.”

Special arrangements in place for the project include:

  • No boating and swimming prohibited zones at One Mile Jetty
  • Restricted beach access from the Old Prawning Jetty to One Mile Jetty
  • Closure of beach access at Binning Road – suggested access at Pelican Point.

Ms West said there would be increased truck movements from Binning Road to Carnarvon Heritage Precinct commencing late October to December 2021 and from Carnarvon Boat Harbour to the Carnarvon Heritage Group Precinct in early November to mid-January 2022.

Salvaged timbers are being sorted and stored as the custodian of the jetty, the Carnarvon Heritage Group, determines how suitable timbers will be reused in the community.

Ms West said ideas for reuse from a recent community consultation process and an event to celebrate the jetty’s history will be shared with the group following the development of an interpretation strategy using the community’s feedback.

“It’s hoped the historic timbers will be reused and live on in the community for many years to come in a way that benefits Carnarvon and the region,” Ms West said. 

In consultation with DoT, the Gascoyne Development Commission is progressing work to rebuild part of the jetty with $4.5 million in State Government funding. 

To find out more about the project visit the Carnarvon One Mile Jetty page.

Media contact: media@transport.wa.gov.au

Page last updated: Thu Oct 28 2021 9:26:55 AM