Medium Rigid (MR) licence

How to upgrade your licence to drive a Medium Rigid (MR) vehicle.

A Medium Rigid (MR) heavy vehicle licence allows you to drive a:

  • vehicle with 2 axles and a gross vehicle mass (GVM) greater than 8,000 kg
  • Light Rigid (LR) vehicle
  • Car
  • Moped.

You can also tow a trailer with a maximum GVM of 9,000 kg.

Examples of Medium Rigid vehicles

Illustration of a medium rigid truck Illustration of medium rigid bus Illustration of medium rigid tractor


Experience requirements

You must have held a C class car licence for a minimum of 12 months before you can apply to upgrade your licence to a MR class licence.


Interstate and overseas heavy vehicle licence holders

You can transfer a current interstate driver’s licence for any vehicle class to a WA driver’s licence without having to complete a practical driving assessment.

If you have a current New Zealand driver’s licence for any class (except Multi Combination vehicles), you can apply to transfer it to a WA driver’s licence.

If you hold a heavy vehicle licence from another country, your previous driving experience may be recognised when applying for a WA driver’s licence. Visit a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centre, regional DoT centre or agent, or call 13 11 56 for more information.

How to get a MR class licence

Step 1: Learn to drive

If you have a current C class or Light Rigid (LR class) driver's licence, you can begin to learn to drive a MR class vehicle.

You do not need to apply for a learner's permit.

When learning to drive you must:

  • be accompanied by a supervisor who is either:
    • a licensed driving instructor holding a MR or higher class driver's licence, or
    • a person who has held a current MR licence for at least 4 years
  • display L plates on the front and back of the vehicle when you are driving.
  • not exceed the posted speed limit, and you cannot exceed 100 km/h.
  • not have a blood alcohol concentration exceeding 0.00%
  • not drive in areas where learners are not permitted.

Please note that prior to undertaking any instruction in a MR class vehicle you will need to ensure that you meet the commercial vehicle medical standards for driving as outlined in Assessing Fitness to Drive national medical standards for licensing and clinical management guidelines.

Step 2: Submit an application form in person

To apply to upgrade your licence, you will need to visit a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centre, regional DoT centre or agent and:

  • submit a completed driver’s licence application form (Form DLA1) (below)
  • show the required proof of identity documents
  • pay a fee for your application and theory test
  • take and pass the heavy vehicle theory test
  • take an eyesight test
  • make a medical declaration.

Additional class application fee

Fee type Fee
Additional class application fee including one Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) (not HC or MC class) $138.70

Eyesight test

You will need to take a commercial vehicle driver’s standard eye test when you apply to upgrade your licence.

If you need to wear glasses or contacts to pass the eyesight test, your licence will have the condition that you must also wear them when driving.

Heavy vehicle theory test

You will need to pass a heavy vehicle theory test to get a MR class licence.

The theory test assesses your understanding of the road rules and heavy vehicle driving in WA.

You can find all the information you need to pass the test in the Heavy vehicle theory test fact sheet below.

You cannot use your phone or refer to notes during the test.

Step 3: Book and pass the practical driving assessment

To upgrade your licence, you will need to take a practical driving assessment (PDA) in a MR class vehicle.

Find out how to book a PDA. You can book your PDA up to 6 months in advance.

Once you have passed your PDA, your licence record will be updated to show that you are now authorised to drive MR class vehicles.

Your driver’s licence card will be updated when you renew your current licence.

If you would like to update your licence card before your next renewal, you can order a replacement licence.

Provisional licences

If you hold a provisional C-class driver’s when you apply for your MR class licence, your MR licence will also be a provisional licence.

Find out the rules for driving on your provisional licence.

If you have a licence with a restriction to automatic transmission and you complete the PDA in a vehicle of a higher class fitted with a manual transmission, the restriction will be removed and only the highest class will show on your licence.

Synchromesh vehicles

If you complete your PDA in a vehicle fitted with a synchromesh transmission your licence will have a condition that you will only be permitted to drive vehicles fitted with a synchromesh gearbox.  

A synchromesh transmission is a type of manual gearbox found in modern cars and trucks which uses synchronising collars to help make smooth gear changes.

If you complete the PDA in a heavy vehicle of a higher class fitted with a manual non-synchromesh transmission you can drive vehicles (except motorcycles) fitted with automatic or manual gearboxes of either type.

National Driver Work Diary

You must carry and complete a National Driver Work Diary if you drive:

  • a vehicle or vehicle combination weighing more than 12 tonnes or a bus fitted to carry more than 12 adults including the driver; and
  • outside of Western Australia and the Northern Territory.

You must record your work and rest details of all trips more than 100 kilometres from your driver base.

Find out more about the National Driver Work Diary.

Page last updated: Tue May 7 2024 10:31:40 AM