Multi Combination (MC) licence

How to upgrade your licence to drive a Multi Combination (MC) class vehicle.

A Multi Combination (MC) class heavy vehicle licence allows you to drive any heavy combination unit towing 2 or more trailers, each having a gross vehicle mass greater than 9,000 kg.

You can also drive a:

  • Heavy Combination (HC) vehicle with attached trailer that has a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) greater than 9,000 kg
  • Heavy Rigid (HR) vehicle
  • Medium Rigid (MR) vehicle
  • Light Rigid (LR) vehicle
  • Car
  • Moped.

To get a MC class licence you must complete and pass a practical driving assessment conducted by an approved registered training organisation. 

Examples of Multi Combination class vehicles

Illustration of a Multi combination vehicle

Illustration of Multi Combination class vehicle


Experience requirements

To apply to upgrade to a MC class licence, you must have held a:

  • Car (C class) licence for at least 3 years, and
  • Heavy Rigid or Heavy Combination licence for at least 1 year.


Interstate licence holders

You can transfer a current interstate driver’s licence for any vehicle class to a WA driver’s licence without having to complete a practical driving assessment.


How to get a MC class licence

Step 1: Learn to drive

If you hold a current Heavy Rigid (HR) or Heavy Combination (HC) vehicle licence, you can begin to learn to drive MC class vehicles.

You do not need to apply for a learner's permit.

When learning to drive you must be accompanied by a supervisor who is either:

  • a licensed driving instructor holding an MC class or higher class driver's licence, (this includes a driving instructor who delivers MC class driver training for a DOT approved registered training organisation; or,
  • an instructor in a youth driver education course holding an MC class or higher class driver's licence; or,
  • a person who has held a current MC class driver's licence for at least 4 years.

You can undertake learner driver training through one of our registered training organisations.

Please note that prior to undertaking any instruction in a MC class vehicle you will need to ensure that you meet the commercial vehicle medical standards for driving as outlined in Assessing Fitness to Drive national medical standards for licensing and clinical management guidelines.

Step 2: Submit an application form in person

To apply to upgrade your licence, you will need to visit a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centre or regional agent and:

  • submit a completed driver's licence application form (Form DLA1) (below)
  • show the required proof of identity documents
  • pay a fee for your application
  • take an eyesight test
  • make a medical declaration

If you are undertaking training through an RTO, you can submit your form after you have passed your practical driving assessment.

Eyesight test

You will need to take an commercial vehicle standard eye test when you apply to upgrade your licence.

If you need to wear glasses or contacts to pass the eyesight test, your licence will show that you must also wear them when driving.

Commercial medical declaration

When you apply for a MC licence, you must declare if you take any medication or have a permanent, long-term mental or physical condition (including drug or alcohol dependence) that is likely to impair your ability to control a heavy commercial vehicle.

Find out more about reporting a medical condition.

Multi Combination (MC) class application fees

Fee type Fee
MC driver's licence class application $59.90
MC driver's licence class restriction application $59.90

Step 3: Pass the practical driving assessment

To upgrade your licence, you will need to take a practical driving assessment (PDA) in a MC class vehicle.

You must book a PDA for MC class vehicle with a registered training organisation.

Once you have passed your PDA, you will need to visit a Driver and Vehicle Services centre or regional DoT office to have your heavy vehicle licence endorsed.

You need to bring:

Your driver’s licence card will be updated when you renew your current licence.

If you would like to update your licence card before your next renewal, you can order a replacement licence.

Synchromesh vehicles

If you complete your PDA in a vehicle fitted with a synchromesh transmission you will only be permitted to drive vehicles fitted with a synchromesh gearbox.

A synchromesh transmission is a type of manual gearbox found in modern cars and trucks which uses synchronising collars to help make smooth gear changes.

If you complete the PDA in a heavy vehicle of a higher class fitted with a non-synchromesh transmission you can drive vehicles (except motorcycles) fitted with automatic or manual gearboxes of either type.

National Driver Work Diary

You must carry and complete a National Driver Work Diary if you drive:

  • a vehicle or vehicle combination weighing more than 12 tonnes or a bus fitted to carry more than 12 adults including the driver; and
  • outside of Western Australia and the Northern Territory.

You must record your work and rest details of all trips more than 100 kilometres from your driver base.

Find out more about the National Driver Work Diary.

Page last updated: Tue May 7 2024 10:31:40 AM