Freight fees, charges and subsidies

Here you will find fees, charges and subsidies associated with heavy vehicle use in Western Australia.

  Fremantle container rail subsidy (January 2018)

Container rail operations play a significant role in improving landside transport efficiency at the Port of Fremantle. Moving containers by rail reduces the number of truck movements along metropolitan roads that link to the port, which in turn helps to improve community amenity and provide environmental benefits.

In 2006-07, the State Government established the Fremantle Container Rail Subsidy in an effort to lower the cost and increase the proportion of container freight on rail in and out of the Port of Fremantle's Inner Harbour. The Subsidy is one of the policy tools Government uses to help reduce total costs associated with moving containers by rail, making it more competitive with road.

Rail customers receive the subsidy per twenty-foot equivalent units (TEU), with an eligible forty-foot equivalent unit (FEU) receiving double the rate of a TEU.

  • From 1 January 2018, the subsidy paid per eligible TEU is $50.00.

See the fact sheet and infographic below for information on how the subsidy program works, who is eligible for the subsidy and how the program is governed.

Media statement 21/12/17: Subsidy increased to increase freight on rail

  Heavy vehicle classification

  • All vehicles with a gross vehicle mass greater than 4,500 kg are classified as heavy vehicles.
  • Heavy vehicles operated in a combination less than 19 metres in length, 2.5 metres width, 4.3 metres height and 42,500 kg gross mass are considered 'as of right' vehicles and have unrestricted access to the road network.
  • Heavy vehicles exceeding these mass or dimension limits are required to operate under a Notice or Permit issued by Main Roads WA.

Read more about heavy vehicle safety.

  Permits, accreditation, notices and standards

The Department of Transport administers heavy vehicle legislation in Western Australia and manages driver and vehicle licensing.

When heavy vehicles or single-trailer combinations are operated within the standards for dimensions and mass prescribed by the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014, the vehicle licence issued by the Department of Transport's Driver and Vehicle Services, allows general (as of right) access to Western Australia's state road network.

Main Roads Western Australia (WA) is responsible for managing heavy vehicle access to the State's road network.

If your heavy vehicles or combinations do not meet these prescribed standards, plus all combinations with more than one trailer, they are called Restricted Access Vehicles (RAVs). In addition to the vehicle licence, your vehicles will require a permit from Main Roads Western Australia, which grants access to certain parts of the Western Australia road network under specific operating conditions.

When your vehicles are operating under a permit, a copy of the current permit must always be carried in the vehicle.

Visit the Main Roads WA website for the following information:

  • Accreditation.
  • Compliance and enforcement.
  • Forms.
  • Heavy vehicle operator updates and information for new truck owners.
  • Performance based standards.
  • Permits.
  • Pilots.
  • Policies.
  • RAV classes.
  • Road curfews.
Main Roads WA
Opens in a new window Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources: Public weighbridge list
Opens in a new window National Transport Commission (NTC): Load restraint guide
Page last updated: Mon Aug 15 2022 4:33:49 PM