Learn to drive (my first licence)

Understand the steps and requirements for a licence to drive a car (C class), or ride a motorcycle (R-E class) or moped (R-N class) in WA.

The new Joondalup Driver Assessment Centre is opening in November 2023. 
Learn more about the range of learner driver services available. 

Getting your driver’s licence is an exciting step, and while there’s plenty to learn, the Department of Transport (DoT) can equip you with all the information you need to be a safe driver.

Here we explain the Graduated Driver Training and Licensing (GDTL) process, from learning the road rules, to honing your skills, passing your test, and running P plates.

More in this section:

Show all

 Learning to drive/ride (overview)

To ensure you're a safe and confident driver once you drive solo, the Department of Transport uses a Graduated Driver Training and Licensing (GDTL) process.

 Get a learner's permit

You need to pass a theory test to get your learner's permit and start driving. Your learner's permit is valid for three years.

 Digital learner log book

The Learner Log Book has gone digital with the introduction of the Learn&Log app.

 Learn to drive/ride

Once you have your learner's permit you must always be accompanied by a supervising driver, and abide by the rules for novice drivers.

 Complete the Hazard Perception Test

You can sit your Hazard Perception Test (HPT) once you're at least 16 years and six months old, and have held your learner's permit for a minimum of six months. (R-N class excepted)

 Continue to gain experience

After passing your HPT, keep building on your experience and working towards your minimum 50 supervised driving hours which must include at least five hours at night (between sunset and sunrise).

 Pass the Practical Driving Assessment

When you have met the minimum requirements for the class of driver's licence you have applied for, you can sit the Practical Driving Assessment (PDA). Book your driving test here.

 Get a provisional licence (P plates)

Once you have passed the Practical Driving Assessment you will be granted a provisional licence and can drive unsupervised.

 Teach someone to drive

Are you teaching someone how to drive in Western Australia? Whether you are a teacher, parent or friend, you will find some useful resources to assist you and your 'student' here.

 Tools and resources

Learner activities and resources, Hazard Perception Test (HPT) simulator and road rules theory test quiz.

 Replace my learner's permit

If your Western Australian learner's permit has been lost, stolen or damaged you can apply for a replacement.
Page last updated: Thu Aug 17 2023 10:40:25 AM